Hybrid (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise, and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical talent from across our industry and beyond, working cohesively to delight our fan base and pass expectations of what is possible.
As a studio, we lead from our values and work together to promote respect and inclusion, a growth mindset, G.R.I.T (Guts, Resourcefulness, Initiative & Tenacity), all while putting our team first! Join us and let’s go far together!
The Senior VFX Artist is responsible for creating and implementing high-end real-time visual effects into a game using Unreal Engine. They will collaborate with several members of the team, such as artists, engineers and designers, to craft state-of-the-artwork in that helps bring players to the Xbox platform.
- Work with the Lead VFX Artist, Art Director, Technical Artists and Engineers to create and deliver VFX that embodies our creative vision
- Ensure that VFX are created in accordance with the approved game style and technical requirements constraints
- Ensure that consistent communication is maintained, in all directions, to guarantee the quality of the game
- Rapid prototyping of VFX in close collaboration with Tech Art and Engineering teams
- Planning, estimating and prioritizing tasks
- Be a mentor for the more junior artists in the team
- Required to have shipped at least 1 title as a VFX or Technical Artist
- Ideally have 5+ years of experience in video game development
- A relevant Portfolio demonstrating experience in creating real time VFX in a photo realistic style
- Relevant degree in an Art/Design field or the equivalent work experience
- Experience with particle systems workflows and shader creation from concept to optimization
- Experience using industry standard 3D content creation tools
- Ability to take constructive feedback from leads, publishers and other team members and channel it into improving the product
- Unreal/Niagara experience is a big plus
- Houdini experience is a big plus
- Mel or Python scripting experience is a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.