Hybrid (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions is an independent development studio based in Amsterdam, focused on creating massive sandbox worlds. Our multi-disciplinary team is using an array of new and emerging technologies to push the envelope of what is possible with open worlds in gaming. Our goal is to build deep, systemic playgrounds on a planetary scale, populated by thousands of players.
MELBA Team is PLAYERUNKNOWN Productions’ applied research division. Project Melba is a new simulation engine being built from the ground up, utilizing data-driven design, multi-core processing and machine learning at its foundation in order to power virtual worlds on a scale beyond the capabilities of current technology.
As an experienced engineer you will be working with a group of scientists and game developers on research opportunities that will have a significant impact on the way we develop games in the future.
We place a strong emphasis on a breath-first development approach in all fields, using data-driven development, ECS and machine learning to create the scalable systems capable of powering massive sandbox worlds. We believe in iterative development rather than purpose-built solutions, building for flexibility and adaptability from the ground up.
- Assist Researchers in general and with experiment/prototype development in particular.
- Determine and implement feasible solutions within existing constraints matching various levels of project maturity.
- Maintaining knowledge of current developments in applicable fields and literature (papers etc.).
- Creating and maintain (software) environments and tools for the research team.
- Help with selecting, gathering, and processing appropriate datasets as well as setting up the pipeline for training Machine Learning agents on the in-house cluster.
- Highly motivated to work with new and emerging technologies.
- 3 to 6 years of professional experience.
- Comfortable working in a highly data-driven workflow.
- Highly skilled in developing for both Linux and Windows platforms.
- Experience in establishing, maintaining, and using automated pipelines.
- Strong coding abilities in: Python and C/C++.
- Excellent knowledge of Machine Learning.
- Familiarity with data-oriented software development methodologies (ECS).
- Experience with AI development environments (PyTorch, TensorFlow).
- Comfortable working in areas where learning and adaptability are key skills.
- Affinity for games development.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Skilled working with a variety of tools and services (Jenkins, JFrog, conan, Docker, Cmake).
- Skilled in additional programming languages (Rust, Java).
- Experience developing for open-world or sand-box games.
- Practical knowledge of Atlassian services and collaboration tools.
Amsterdam or Remote (within similar time zone)