Los Angeles, CA, USA
Night School Studio
ABOUT OUR TEAM
We’re a group of developers, artists, and storytellers that make games full of wonder, danger, and humor. Everyone at our studio, whether an industry vet or new voice impacts each game through collaborative feedback, mutual respect, and creative empowerment. If you want to make games leave a meaningful impact on players: we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for new teammates who deeply care about the work they do, the stories they tell, and the people they create with. As part of the Netflix team, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
DESIGN AT NIGHT SCHOOL
At Night School designers invent new ways to play with interactive stories. Our studio’s goal is to create world-class narrative games, and this all begins with the design. The building blocks of our games are the storytelling mechanics – designers define what they are, and how they all fit together.
ABOUT THE JOB
In our studio, designers have two main roles. The first is to imagine new games and mechanics to tell amazing stories. This involves working closely with narrative, writing, art, and engineering to bring these ideas to life. Then, when a script is written, and art assets created, it is the designer’s job to place them in a scene and make it fun to play. This requires a deep understanding of not only design principles but of cinematic techniques and storytelling.
As a level designer / scripter, your role would lean more towards the content implementation role, but a great candidate would have proficiency in both.
- Implementing story scenes into the engine using proprietary tools
- Bringing a sense of pacing, timing, and cinematography to each scene to tell the story more effectively
- Prototyping levels using standard greyboxing tools
- Assisting with and owning various level designs
Skills & requirements:
- Three or more shipped games as a level scripter or level designer
- Experience bringing narrative to life using high-level scripting tools
- Strong game design and communication skills
- Strong sense of scene pacing and cinematography
- Familiarity with programming and logic concepts
- Experience working in Unity
Nice to Have:
- Experience in C# or C++
- 3D Modeling experience
- Drawing skills
- Experience in Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Receptive to critique and feedback
- Able to communicate ideas clearly and effectively
- Self-starter willing to find solutions and ask questions when needed
- A great understanding scene pacing and visual storytelling
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $50,000 – $600,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.