Holistic Underground (HU) is a global organization of change-makers supporting organizations and movements to succeed with integrity.
This is initially a part-time contractor position, and you will have the opportunity to grow alongside our organization.
You, the Grant Writer, are responsible for researching, drafting, and submitting proposals to fund both Holistic Underground’s Core Programming (above) and for the organizations within our incubator and fiscal sponsorship program. You are responsible for discovering grant opportunities and building and maintaining relationships with funders, donors, and others within the community. You will help us build a course on grant strategy, writing and research for our Fiscally Sponsored Organizations.
You will also have the opportunity to offer your services to the many members of our network – our sponsored organizations as well as other organizations in Holistic Undergrounds portfolio. Their services may be subsidized by Holistic Underground, giving you the opportunity to offer your services to folks who would other not be able to access it.
This would be compensation in addition to the agreed-upon compensation for this role. We are looking for someone who can craft a compelling and clear story, and who resonates with the mission and vision of the Holistic Underground.
The ideal candidate would be a highly motivated individual with superb writing skills, attention to detail, and experience writing on deadline.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Research grant opportunities that match the organization’s mission and programs.
- Write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive LOI’s, proposals, and supporting documents that make a strong case for funding based on the funding requirements of the organization.
- Provide research briefings and make recommendations about prospects.
- Monitor all grant-related activity to ensure timely submission of proposals and reports.
- Study and understand the history, structure, objectives, programs and financial needs of the organization.
- Cultivate and nurture positive relationships with fund providers and other stakeholders.
- Maintain records and submit reports related to grant opportunities, complete all required documentation and reports in a timely fashion.
- Understand the legal regulatory framework of Holistic Underground as it relates to funding.
- Support the development of funding proposals to ensure the continuous delivery of services.
- With support, build a course on grant writing and grant research for our sponsored organizations.
- Offer additional grant assistance to our sponsored organizations, and to other organizations in Holistic Undergrounds portfolio (additional compensation offered).
- 3 years of fundraising/grant writing experience, preferably with social-impact startups and/or community-serving nonprofits.
- Proven ability to write and submit successful grant applications.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time efficiently.
- Clear and effective external and internal, verbal and written, communication skills.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds; strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Interest in / experience with Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work.
- Interest in community development, social impact, and progressive work styles.
- Active listener, clear and mindful communicator, outspoken when necessary.
- Values community.
- Self-motivated. You’ll have guidance and support available to you, though you’ll need to be self directed much of the time on this fully remote team.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Proactive stance: able to scan the landscape for available opportunities and navigate strategically and creatively.
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects with consistency.
- Ability to handle a direct style of communication.
- Strong communication skills such as writing, following up with questions or project updates.
$50/hour for up to 200 hours ($10,000 contract) – Initial 3-month engagement with opportunity to extend/increase the contract after that. Additional compensation for partner organization grant assistance to be negotiated on a project-to-project basis.