Eastern Kentucky University
Executive Director, EKU Online
Eastern Kentucky University
Title: Executive Director, EKU Online
Position Type: Fulltime Staff
Search Type: External – minimum 7 days
Department: 20R110 – Online Learning
Division: 2R0000 – Academic Affairs
Position Location: Richmond Campus
Driver Classification: Non-Driver
Schedule Type: Full Time (37.5 hrs per week or more)
Hours Per Week:
Additional Schedule Details:
Posted Salary Grade: Exempt – 54
Contact Person: Ryan Baggett
Job Summary/Basic Functions
The Executive Director of EKU Online develops, markets, implements and directs all e-Learning activities for Eastern Kentucky University’s robust online learning portfolio. EKU Online provides high-quality, student-centered educational opportunities to online students. The Executive Director provides vision, direction, and focused goals for the EKU Online department and takes a student-centered approach to develop, plan, and implement initiatives in online education. The Executive Director understands the evolving needs of online students and works with their team to analyze the needs of target populations. The person in this role also works with faculty and administration of the University to identify, develop, and deliver online program offerings that are innovative, scalable, and enhance learning. Unit responsibilities include administrative, enrollment management, instructional design, and marketing services dedicated to EKU Online programs.
EKU Online best serves EKU by offering fully quality online programs, student services, and faculty professional development that embody the University’s values and enhance the University’s commitment to being a School of Opportunity.
Education: Master’s degree in Education, Business, Instructional Technology/Design, Educational Technology, or a related field is required.
Education can substitute for experience but experience cannot substitute for education.
- Five years of related work experience is required in management and administration, with a minimum of two years experience in online education and multimedia services.
- Prefer experience in higher education leadership with accomplishments in the field of online education.
- Experience managing a full-time professional team with the ability to supervise, train, motivate, and mentor staff. Preferably, with hybrid/remote staff.
Licensure & Certifications: Prefer: Familiarity with or basic Quality Matters (QM) certification (APPQMR)
45% – Provides strategic vision and operational direction for all aspects of the University’s distance education initiatives:
- Creates a vision for online learning that aligns with the direction of the University and the individual Colleges
- Develops and administers policies and procedures to attract new students to online programs, retain existing students, and efficiently and effectively support positive user experiences
- Directs the operations of EKU’s Online Learning department
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with the key EKU administrative units (e.g., Student Success, Finance and Administration) that facilitate effective service delivery for students and faculty
- Selects, trains, manages, and evaluates employees in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and University policies
- Develops, implements, and maintains quality control and accreditation measures for distance learning
- Provides vision for and oversees the operation of EKU Online marketing efforts, including the website and market analysis interpretation
- Proactively assesses potential administrative, technical, and programmatic obstacles and works to address these by adopting or changing policies
- Develops and provides oversight of the EKU Online budget and monitors all financial aspects of the EKU Online initiative. Provides financial interpretations and carefully manages resources.
- Monitors legal policies relating to distance education including intellectual property, copyright, liability, and disabilities
- Selects and manages third party vendors and coordinates with internal departments to provide high-quality responsive student services that increase student attraction and retention in assigned programs
- Coordinates training and professional development opportunities for assigned faculty and staff
- Analyzes data and writes reports on the status of the EKU Online initiative and associated online degree programs
- Develops online learning guidelines and smart practices in conjunction with departmental directors
- Assesses and analyzes current online programs, and find ways to streamline and optimize processes. – (Essential)
20%- Provides leadership and management for the instructional design, media design, course development, and technical assistance that supports the development and maintenance of online degree and certificate programs:
- Provides leadership in the application of instructional design theories and methodologies to help build and facilitate quality online courses that reflect best practices in course design, accessibility requirements, security standards, and copyright policies
- Provides expert advice to academic units on the appropriate use of emerging and existing instructional technologies for use in online and multimedia education
- Directs and measures the progress of work and selection of technologies to ensure that all courses produced meet or exceed the needs of the intended audiences and are developed on schedule and within budget
- Oversees instructional design, media design and technical assistance that support the development of online degree and certificate programs
- Remains current with national and international developments in online education and leverages these developments to improve the online learning experiences at the University
- Encourages innovation, creativity, and the use of “best practices” in the design and delivery of high-quality online courses
- Ensures that all courses meet applicable standards for design and delivery
- Assigns resources and priorities to initiatives to advance the mission of EKU Online and assigned programs
- Collaborates with university faculty and EKU Online in the acquisition, development, and design of online course materials, course delivery, and subsequent evaluation. – (Essential)
15% – Engages others in developing and executing on a vision, conceptual framework, and strategic plan for the delivery and growth of online learning programs for the University:
- Provides transformational leadership to assist stakeholders in realizing the benefits of distance education
- Develops a vision and mission that guides EKU Online
- Establishes an infrastructure that supports student and faculty services for e-Learning programs
- Works to promote and lead student success, program innovation, and enrollment growth efforts
- Develops and implements strategic plans and policies for online learning, performs yearly program assessments, and provides ongoing budgetary analysis
- Coordinates policies and procedures with administration, faculty, and staff
- Identifies distance education trends and seeks to incorporate best practices based on knowledge learned
- Educates (via formal presentations, email, meetings, phone calls, and written correspondence) various internal and external stakeholders, and interested constituencies on the University’s distance education initiative
- Works in collaboration with the Deans, the Director of Financial Affairs, and Program Coordinators to establish a sustainable business plan for managing the distance education initiative
- Works closely with the Admissions, Financial Aid, Billings and Collections, Registrar, and Advising Offices to establish, implement and monitor policies and procedures relating to distance education
- Promotes EKU Online programs internally within the Colleges and externally to other EKU departments and potential students – (Essential)
15% – Cultivates and manages partnerships with external partners involved in the delivery of our online learning programs, in particular our knowledge partner responsible for marketing, recruitment and retention activities:
- Develops and manages the contractual agreements for online learning delivery partners including developing contracts, and negotiating projects with business, external entities and/or other educational institutions
- Oversees the University’s contract with its online learning partners, ensuring for effective and efficient service delivery consistent with the provisions of the contract
- Serves as a Steering Committee member and participates in meetings to assess the progress of our programs and to make adjustments as appropriate and necessary
- Monitors contract performance on such activities as marketing online programs, conducting market research, developing marketing campaigns and strategies; generating student leads, converting student leads, student recruitment, student advising and processing, student follow-up, student retention, student re-enrollment, and faculty support.
- Participates in the reconciliation and payment of invoices. ● Participates in weekly teleconferences to monitor progress and consider ongoing strategic direction. – (Essential)
5% – Complete all other projects and duties as assigned to operate and grow online learning initiatives at EKU:
- Attends meetings, serves on committees, and completes all other duties as assigned. – (Essential)
Sponsorship: Visa sponsorship will be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending upon the needs of the unit, available sponsorship budget, and the qualifications of the candidate.
Funding Source: Institutional
Open Until Filled: Yes
Eastern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age (40 and over), race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, ethnicity, disability, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information in the admission to, or participation in, any educational program or activity (e.g., athletics, academics and housing) which it conducts or any employment policy or practice.
Background Check Statement
Offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory background check.